What are sex toys?
Sex toys are objects you can use to have more pleasure during masturbation or for pleasure with a partner. Just make sure that if you’re going to use them with your partner, you and your partner are both comfortable and have consented (agreed).
Everyone is different and different people like different things. This is true when it comes to sex. Maybe you like to use sex toys, and maybe you don’t — using sex toys is a personal choice, and there is nothing wrong with it.
As long as you’re using sex toys safely, there’s nothing harmful about them.
If you choose to use sex toys, remember these six things:
- Always use a water-based lubricant, especially if you’re using sex toys in your anus. If you are using a condom, avoid oil-based lubricants as these may cause the condom to break.
- Do not share sex toys with your friends as this could lead to spreading of infections like Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs).
- If you do decide to share sex toys, use a condom for each encounter.
- Do not move from anal sex to vaginal sex with the same toy. This can cause bacteria to spread.
- Always keep your toys clean to avoid infections. Clean your toys with warm water and soap after each use.
- It’s always better to use sex toys that are specifically made to be sex toys, especially if you’re putting them inside your body. Sex toys that you make yourself might not be safe, especially if they can break, have rough, sharp, or loose parts, or are made of materials that are unsanitary or can cause a reaction.
There are different types of sex toys that are made for men and women. They come in different shapes, sizes and colours.
Find out more about masturbation here.
Sex toys can be used for sex with other people too. Check out this article on the different kinds of sex: What is sex and how does it happen?