Do you have pain in the bottom part of your stomach? This can be a sign of something serious and you should go to your clinic to be assessed by a healthcare provider, especially if:
- The pain started suddenly.
- Your last period was more than a month ago.
- You are not on any contraception.
- You have a fever or discharge.
Get treated today!
- For girls and women, leaving STIs untreated can lead to a problem called “PID” or pelvic inflammatory disease. PID is when the infection spreads up into the upper reproductive organs (uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes). It can cause pain in your stomach and genitals, make it hard to get pregnant later or result in ectopic pregnancies- which is when pregnancy develops outside your uterus (womb).
- If you have an untreated STI and fall pregnant, you could also pass the infection on to your baby during pregnancy or delivery.
- In men and women, leaving some STIs like gonorrhoea untreated can lead to joint infections and arthritis.
- Many STIs can increase your risk of becoming infected with HIV.