Masturbation is also called playing with yourself. This is when you touch or rub your own genitals or ‘sex organs’ in a way that feels good. People of all genders can masturbate to feel pleasure and to have an orgasm.
Is it normal to masturbate?
A lot of people pleasure themselves. It is not a strange thing to do. And it is not something to be ashamed of. Masturbation is actually the safest way to have sex. You do not have to worry about HIV, STIs or unplanned pregnancy.
Masturbation is how you learn to make yourself feel good or to find out what you like and don’t like sexually. Some people don’t masturbate at all, and that is also normal and healthy. Some people masturbate by using their hands only, while others use sex toys to help them have an orgasm.
How do you masturbate?
Masturbation is done differently by different people. When you masturbate you touch, rub, stroke, massage or jerk your genitals in a pleasant way.
When do you masturbate?
You will usually begin masturbating during puberty and can stop at any age. Some people masturbate several times per day. But there are also people who do not masturbate at all.
There are many reasons you may want to masturbate. Maybe because you feel aroused or horny. But it can also be because you are bored. Most people masturbate in private, but you might also enjoy doing it with someone. Do what you feel is right for you.
What is an orgasm?
If you masturbate, you can teach your body how to have a sexual climax. This is an orgasm or what some people call ‘cumming’. This is when you feel intense pleasure. The feeling is different for everyone. The feeling starts in the genitals and moves outwards through the whole body. Learn more about orgasms here.
Is masturbating good for you?
Masturbation has many positive effects
- It is a stress reliever and can improve your mood.
- It can help you become sexually comfortable and confident with your body.
- It helps you discover what you like and what you don’t like.
Am I masturbating too much?
There is no such thing as masturbating too much. But if it is affecting your life in a negative way, then you should seek help. Here is when masturbation becomes a problem:
- You hurt yourself: You rub yourself so much that sensitive parts of your penis or vagina become painful.
- It’s affecting other things in your life: Your normal daily duties like your homework or socialising with your friends are affected because you are masturbating. You might not be able to stop yourself from doing it.
- You’re avoiding being intimate with your partner: You’ve come to a point where satisfying yourself on your own is more enjoyable than spending time with your partner.
Reach out to trained counsellors at loveLife if you have any of these three signs. Or if you feel that masturbating is an issue in your life.
Want to know what you can use to add more fun to masturbation? Find out here.
Delaying having sex means waiting until you are ready. Masturbating instead of having sex with someone else is your choice. Find out more in this article
Learn more about orgasms here